Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Trekking up crowded Mount Sinai

The Miami Herald reports on the crowded trek up Mount Sinai.

In the bible this is the mountain that Moses climbed and received the 10 Commandments. Now it is an overrun tourist spectacle.

Reporter Charmaine Noronha recounts her trip:
I would retrace Moses' footsteps on a hike to witness the sunrise from the summit. If Moses could do it, why couldn't I?

We followed in step with our guide as he led us through the darkness, up the winding trail, over granite crags and slippery rocks. I'm not religious, but the irony of the moment hit me: I'd literally put all my faith in this man I'd just met.

For others on the hike, the expedition had deep religious significance. The Bible says this is where God gave Moses two stone tablets inscribed with the commandments. Moses received these laws after leading the Jews out of slavery in Egypt, a story that is retold during the Jewish holiday of Passover. But Sinai is an important site for Jews, Christians and Muslims alike, and every night, hundreds of pilgrims make the climb.
Read the full story: Climb to the top of Mount Sinai

Photo from Bible Probe

No comments:

Post a Comment